Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Open Hand or Tight Fist?

The big question seems to be; Is there enough toilet paper to go around.  Judging by the amounts of it I've seen recently in cars, vans, and shopping carts, the answer seems to be 'no'.

Now.....before you think I'm on my high horse, let me assure you, I'm not!  I've got my own issues, believe me!

According to the toilet paper companies themselves, there is no shortage at all.  The stores aren't out of toilet paper because there isn't enough to go around (there is actually plenty).  The stores are out of toilet paper because people are buying up far more than they need.

The other day, I saw a 15 passenger van filled with hundreds of rolls of toilet paper and case upon case of bottled water.  I took out my phone to take a picture saying to myself, "Now that'll preach", but I felt guilty and put my phone back in my pocket.  Maybe they had a family of 30 and I'm just being a jerk, but somehow I doubt it!   

When we buy more than we really need, we fall victim of the myth of scarcity.  The myth of scarcity says that the world is like a pie with a finite number of pieces.  The myth of scarcity always says that there isn't enough for everyone so I need to get my share and then some before it's all gone and I miss out.    

The Scriptures and the toilet paper companies both want us to know that there is more than enough for everyone if we would just chill out.

The great theologian Walter Bruggemann says that the Bible starts out in Genesis, chapter 1 with a liturgy of abundance (read it); a song of praise for God's generosity.  The world created is called good, even very good!  

The longest creation poem, Psalm 104 (check it out), serves as a commentary on Genesis 1.  The Psalmist surveys creation and names it all.  

Verse 27-28 are almost a table prayer:

These all look to you
   to give them their food in due season; 
when you give to them, they gather it up;
   when you open your hand, they are filled with good things.

It could read today, "You give toilet paper to all because you love them".  

I was struck by the open hand (metaphorically speaking).  In giving good gifts, God open's up God's hand.  When we are open handed (not tight fisted), God fills us with good things.  We are open handed when we are ready to receive a gift, BUT we are also open handed when we give a gift away!  

The Psalm ends encouraging us to not worry, to not succumb to fear because God... is.... reliable.  The fruitfulness of the world is guaranteed because there really is more than enough if we are willing to open up our hands. 

But the truth is that we can (and do) mess up God's good thing.  We can 

take.....use....grab....possess.... hoard....and make a fist! 

We can consume more than what we really need.  I may not have done this with toilet paper, but like I said, I did it with other things!  A quick look in the mirror reminds me that I too am susceptible to the myth of scarcity just like I am the CoronaVirus.  My actions show that I don't always believe in a world of abundance and a reliable and trustworthy God.  That's why I need to remind myself and re-read Genesis 1 and Psalm 104 so that the truth of generosity makes it's way out of my life and not the lies that tell me to grab what I can.

If God is utterly reliable and the world is filled with abundance then it is we, who aspire to live out the way of Jesus, who will have to open up our hearts and our hands (to freely receive the gifts of God and then freely give them away).  A release of sorts will have to take place.  We will have to surrender our tendencies to grasp more in order to ensure that there is more than enough to go around.

Do you struggle with the myth of scarcity?
What helps you to open up your heart and your hands?
How might you practice generosity today?

Comment below.

Peace to you all.
Rob D.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment