Monday, December 21, 2015

The Night Before Christmas and Red Holiday Cups

The Night Before Christmas and Red Holiday Cups

A Visit From St. Nicholas


We all know the poem, “A Visit From St. Nicholas” by Clemente Clarke Moore; it’s a classic!  

"Twas the night before Christmas, when all thro’ the house.  Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse; The stockings were hung by the chimney with care, in the hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there......"

It’s the story of Santa Claus, his reindeer, children’s anticipation, the stockings he fills and even the pipe that he smokes (go back and read it for this long forgotten detail or just glance at this pic).  I love it!  I can still recite much of this today from memory.  I have no issues with the poem; it really is a classic.  But for me, it’s not what the night before Christmas is really about and I’m ok with that.   

Holiday Coffee War


It made me think about the big Starbucks controversy over their holiday cups.  Starbucks used to have cups that featured trees and holiday ornaments, but this year they chose to go with a plain red cup in an effort to be more inclusive.  I guess some Christians were upset with this and have encouraged Christians to boycott Starbucks.  I would ask, what do the original cups with the trees and ornaments have to do with the real Christmas story found in Scripture?   I just wish that Christians would be shown in the news for protesting a real injustice in the world, not complaining about the color of a cup.

But my favorite thing about this story was Dunkin’ Donuts response to Starbucks, which was to launch a new holiday cup emblazoned with the word “JOY” on it; surrounded by holly in Christmasy red and green.  It's game on between the coffee giants!!

I suppose that those who have a problem with Starbucks can just find the nearest Dunkin’ Donuts to get their cup of holiday cheer.   Who's got the better holiday cup?  I'll let you be the judge.  

Frankly, if I hadn’t heard about this on the news, I might not have noticed the cup change at all.  I haven’t heard any outrage against the classic poem, “A Visit From St. Nicholas” this year and he smokes a pipe (not exactly a role model for children).   The poem and the red holiday cup are what they are; they are just cultural symbols, but they aren’t the real thing.  

The Night Before Christmas

The real story of Christmas, found in the Bible is the best story ever.  It’s about the incarnation; God taking on flesh and coming to live among us in order to save us.  The night before Christmas is really exciting for us at Lightshine.  This will be our third Christmas together, but our first Christmas Eve Worship Gathering (@ 5:00 pm. 2500 Townsgate Rd. Suite D in Westlake Village).  It will be a time to contemplate and celebrate what God has done in the arrival of Jesus.  I know that it will be beautiful.  From all of us at Lightshine Church, we sincerely hope that you, your family and friends will join us for worship. 


If you want, you can show up on Christmas Eve with your red Starbucks cup or your Dunkin’ Donuts "joy" cup as neither will get in the way of the true reason for the season (just don’t spill on Joe’s floor or I am going to have to stay and clean it up)! 

Robert Douglas - Organizing Pastor - Lightshine Church










No comments:

Post a Comment